Saturday, January 18, 2014

Yogurt



 

Something I've wanted to try for the past year was to make a better Yogurt, a cultured yogurt, rather than one made with tofu - my replacement for yogurt.


After reading many different blogs and watching countless videos, I was ready to try making cultured yogurt, something I used to do in the past with a yogurt maker.


Several blogs were using crock pots and then setting the crock in an oven to keep warm overnight. This did not work for me; the results were barely thickened or cultured.


After thinking about this I decided to try a heating pad under the crock. This too failed as my heating pad has an auto shut off after 15 mins.



Then I noticed the dehydrator sitting on the counter having just finished making raw burgers the night before. Of course! That would be the perfect incubator for cultured yogurt! 



The results were good. I know something is good when hubby tries it and his eyes betray that ‘surprised’ look! I had mixed up fresh fruit with this new yogurt batch and served it for dessert. 




Yogurt - Dehydrator

1 quart unsweetened organic soy milk

2 tablespoons plain yogurt with active live cultures

Pour milk into saucepan and heat over medium stirring constantly until temperature reaches 185°F. The milk will just begin to froth, but don’t let it boil!
Remove from heat and cool to 110°.
Place 2 tablespoons room temperature yogurt, use leftover yogurt from previous batch, or store bought plain yogurt with active cultures.
Whisk in a few tablespoons of the cooled milk, then whisk the contents into the remaining milk in the saucepan.
Transfer the mixture into glass jars that will fit in your dehydrator, and cap with clean lids.
Remove all the trays from the dehydrator and place the jars inside.
Set the dehydrator at 110°, close the door and do not disturb for 8 to 10 hours.
Do not peek, shake, stir or check yogurt during this time.
Once dehydrating is done, place the yogurt in the fridge to set a few hours. The yogurt will thicken as it cools. This yogurt will not be as thick as what is available in the store.
If you want thicker yogurt, you can strain the yogurt in a cheese cloth in a sieve set in a bowl.
Enjoy!
 


After a few more batches, always making it with some of the left over yogurt to culture the new batch, I decided I wanted to try making yogurt that was a bit thicker. And I have learned it is very easy to kill the active cultures by bringing the milk to high temperatures.
Success again! I’ll post that recipe soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment