Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dairy Free 'Butta'





In desperation I searched for a good dairy free butter - something that would stand in for regular butter, especially for topping vegetables, baking, muffins, etc. I wanted a healthier version of the products that we find in the store loaded with tons of ingredients that should NOT be in butter!

And there is that spreadable DF/V product that would mold on me - you read that right - mold! Yes, it was a refrigerated product that was kept in the refrigerator yet had to be tossed before the expiration date!

A few years ago I found a recipe, whipped it up and was very pleased with the results. Either I misplaced the recipe or was just too busy to hunt for it in my massive collection. I knew I would NOT buy anymore products that claimed to be 'healthy' and wanted to bake someone his favorite cookies the way that he liked them - the old fashion way which was NOT going to happen!

Each winter I get venturous and try something new. This winter it is perfecting dairy products and that includes cheeses. 

I am fortunate to live in an area that is very Vegan friendly and attend a monthly vegan supper club where everyone brings a dish to share. Trust me when I say that this is one of the best things I have ever found! One couple opens their home and welcomes everyone who wants to attend. The hostess also teaches classes on how to make different cheeses! Nirvana heaven!

Getting back to my DF butter, I wanted to try the recipe again and found another version that is wonderful. Even HE LIKED IT! Since I don't have a silicone mold, I opted to use bread pans lined with waxed paper.

Enjoy!


Vegan Butter 

makes 2cups butter
1/2 cup organic unsweetened soy milk
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. sea salt
1 t. agar agar powder
1 cup refined coconut oil
1 T. organic walnut, sunflower or safflower oil
1 t. liquid sunflower or soy lecithin or (2 t. sunflower or soy lecithin granules)
 

1) Place the soy milk, lemon juice, agar agar and salt in a food processor and mix to emulsify.
Let the mixture set to thicken for about 2 minutes.
 

2) Add the refined coconut oil, choice of organic oil and lecithin. Process for 3 minutes, scraping down the sides to thoroughly mix. 

3) Pour the mixture into a covered dish and place it in the refrigerator to solidify for about 10 minutes. 

4) Pour the mixture into silicone molds or waxed paper lined mold and freeze solid. Once frozen, remove from mold and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 months or freezer up to one year. 



No comments:

Post a Comment