Sunday, August 26, 2012

What's on my plate?

What’s on my plate?


I start my weekdays off with something light . . . soy yogurt, granola and fresh fruit. To sweeten my yogurt I used to use a little honey, but I am going to give maple syrup a try; one because I have it in the fridge, and two because honey is not vegan. Or sometimes I will start with a small bowl of cereal with almond or coconut milk.


During the day I snack on mixed nuts, raw nuts, Kind bars, Cliff bars or another bar whose name is eluding me at the moment . . . I also like to snack on fruit throughout the day, a granny smith apple, a fresh pear, a banana, or whatever is in the fridge at work. If I am at home I will make a green shake with my nutribullet, a lovely gift a la mom! My “go to” ingredients are spinach, carrots, pineapple, banana, blueberries or raspberries, orange juice and ice. My mother also suggests topping off with flax seeds. I also like to stay well hydrated by drinking a lot of water, my water bottle also contains a rose quartz crystal to open my heart chakra, keep my stress level low, support brain functions and increase intellect.


For lunch I tend to eat cold (I do not partake in the use of microwaves) left over’s or some ensalada. My ensalada consists of spinach or arugula with a range of veggies and possibly a little fruit or nuts to taste. My dressing is generally balsamic and oil or fresh lemon or lime with salt and pepper. If I go out for lunch, I like something fresh and light like sushi (remember I am the sister who tries to make “vegan choices” but I am not a strict vegan).


For dinner I tend to work with what I have. Basmati rice, black beans, and cooked kale, sometimes I make stir fry, cooked cabbage, tofu, carrots, green beans, corn, broccoli, rice, cashews, garlic, onions, light soy sauce and fresh lemon with a little soy sour cream to thicken the sauce (do this at the end with the heat off). On other nights I will have some salmon, rice and veggies (again not a strict vegan). I have also recently discovered Tofurkey brand Italian sausage; this is quite tasty broiled, on a whole wheat bun with spicy mustard, ketchup and sauerkraut with a side of grilled corn on the cob or kale chips! If I eat out I like Indian and Thai food. Luckily there are a lot of vegan restaurants in my neighborhood :)


On the weekends I will start my mornings off with something slightly grander . . . home style potatoes cooked with a little hot sauce, some whole wheat English crumpets with earth butter and double jam, tofu sausage, and a side of fresh fruit, orange juice and iced coffee, black.


Lunch on the weekends are also a little grander, a vegetarian Rueben (replace meat with mushrooms and leave off the cheese), or kale salad with quinoa, almonds, golden raisens, lemon vinaigrette, with salt and pepper, or a homemade falafel sandwich with pickled cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, and tahini. Sometimes I will mix some pasta with raw cabbage, carrots, almonds and a Thai peanut dressing for a spin on traditional coleslaw.


Dinner on the weekends can also be a little grander if I have help otherwise it is the usual or I go out.


I tend to cook with fresh ingredients, but some food I buy frozen are, tofu sausage, garden burgers, Thai vegetarian dumplings, and coconut ice-cream.


- The not so vegan, “vegan sister”

No comments:

Post a Comment